Link Copiedcheck_circle
Auto News

Johor Mulls Over Third Ferry Service To Singapore

Anis

Share via


Photo credit: CNA The government of Johor state has proposed an additional ferry service to facilitate travel between the Malaysian state and Singapore. Johor Menteri Besar Onn Hafiz Ghazi stated that this was one of the topics discussed with Singapore ministers during his visit to the Republic. "We proposed the addition of a third ferry service between Johor and Singapore." We proposed a route between Puteri Harbour and Tuas. However, we will need approval from the Transport Ministry before we can hold further discussions with Singapore's Transport Ministry," he said.




There are currently two ferry services running between Tanah Merah and Desaru Coast, as well as Tanah Merah and Tanjung Belungkor. He was responding to a question from Pakatan Harapan assemblyman Andrew Chen Kah Eng during the Sunday session of the state assembly.  Chen had inquired as to what was discussed during the state government of Johor's official visit to Singapore in February.




Onn Hafiz also stated that the Johor government would soon implement a mechanism to encourage the use of electric vehicles (EVs) in the state. "Among the topics I discussed with Singapore's Transport Minister S. Iswaran was the use of EVs, and he shared that by 2030, they will stop registering gasoline-powered vehicles," he said.


“We also need to have a plan on this and will work closely with the local governments.

“I will discuss with the state secretary the need to have a mechanism which will involve industries that could support our strategy (on EVs) in years to come.”


Onn Hafiz also met Singapore's Minister for Sustainability and the Environment, Grace Fu, Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, and four companies interested in investing in Johor during his visit. He stated that resolving traffic congestion between Johor and Singapore is a top priority for both the state and federal governments. The minister mentioned the federal government's initiatives such as expanding the use of electronic gates to Singaporeans, increasing the number of motorcycle lanes from 50 to 75 each way, and merging counters of various agencies at the border. He added that there would be four zones at the Johor Causeway that would combine counters from all relevant agencies to facilitate a single clearance system.




"Right now, travellers must stop twice to clear their passports and pay their Touch 'n Go (TnG) fee, but after that, they only need to stop once," Onn explained. Earlier, Chen told the state assembly that Singaporean artiste Wang Lei had recently expressed his displeasure at having to wait seven hours at the Causeway due to traffic congestion. He also stated that, while there have been initiatives to monitor border congestion, there is still room for improvement. The state government's efforts to attract businesses would be hampered by traffic congestion, he emphasized.

Gallery

Tagged:

Johor ferry service
ferry service
Johor Singapore
Johor Causeway
Share This Article

Written By

Anis

Previously in banking and e commerce before she realized nothing makes her happier than a revving engine and gleaming tyres........

Share via

Related News

Auto News

New Penang Ferry Begins Operations

New ferry service from Pangkalan Raja Tun Uda (PRTU) to Pangkalan Sultan Abdul Halim (PSAH) in Butterworth begins full operations.

08-08-2023
Auto News

Johor Steps Up Transport Upgrades Ahead Of Visit Johor 2026

Johor is stepping up cross-border transport upgrades at BSI, KSAB, and Larkin ahead of Visit Johor 2026 to ease congestion.

24-07-2025
Auto News

VEP Enforcement Starts July 1 – Compound up to RM300

Starting July 1, vehicles without a valid VEP will be fined on the spot and may be stopped from leaving Malaysia.

Auto News

Govt Aims to Ease Johor Causeway Congestion by 2026

Malaysia targets 70% reduction in Johor Causeway congestion by 2026 with QR systems and infrastructure upgrades.

Auto News

MyRentas QR Code Immigration Clearance Extended Until Nov

The POC for MyRentas QR code immigration clearance system at Johor's two land border entrances has been extended until Nov.

10-10-2024
Auto News

Causeway Braces For Surge In Traffic Volume

Traffic on the Causeway is expected to increase by 20% to 30% during raya.

18-04-2023
Auto News

Johor Government And Putrajaya Serious About Reducing Causeway Congestion - MB

Johor remains committed to resolving the congestion at its land crossings with Singapore according to Johor's MB.

23-03-2023

Latest News

Auto News

Marketing Gone Wrong! 15 People Land In Lockup After Rented Hilux Flare Stunt Fails To Impress Cops

KL police have arrested 15 people over a dangerous late-night flare stunt in Bukit Bintang, which was a marketing promo for a Dengkil clothing store's 6th anniversary.

19-05-2026
Auto News

Chery Just Opened A Gorgeous New Lifestyle Showroom Inside Pavilion Bukit Jalil

Chery Malaysia opens its first Gen 4 boutique mall showroom at Pavilion Bukit Jalil, offering an exclusive sneak peek of the Tiggo 9 and up to RM8,888 in savings.

19-05-2026
Auto News

Perodua Receives RM37 Million Boost From Japan, Ativa Hybrid Is Finally Coming To Showrooms?

Perodua confirms plans to locally assemble and sell the Ativa Hybrid in Malaysia, backed by a RM37 million (1.5 billion yen) injection from the Global South Fund.

18-05-2026
Auto News

"Turun Padang" Works! PMX To Personally Push For Higher Fuel Subsidies After Hearing From P-Hailing Riders

PM Anwar Ibrahim announces a proposal to increase the Budi Madani RON95 fuel subsidy quota for p-hailing delivery riders from 200 to 250 litres following direct feedback during his Johor visit.

18-05-2026
Auto News

RM1 Million Car But RM0 Value On Your Life? This Calculator Tells You Exactly What Happens If You Never Make It Home

Volvo Car Malaysia launch the interactive 'Selamat Calculator' to help drivers measure the financial and emotional impact of their absence and improve road safety awareness.

18-05-2026
Auto News

Phew! Anthony Loke Confirms T20s Won’t Be Cut From Fuel Subsidies... For Now

Transport Minister Anthony Loke confirms T20 group will not be cut from RON95 fuel subsidies for now. Learn why the government is sticking to the "simple" Budi95 MyKad system.

14-05-2026
Auto News

First 300L, Now 200L... Is 150L Inevitable? A Look At The Future Of Budi Madani

Is the 150L petrol quota coming? We break down the "taken out of context" Budi95 news and why Malaysia's RM7 billion subsidy bill makes a future cut a real possibility.

13-05-2026
Auto News

5 Shocking Numbers That Explain Why Proton Is Exiting Its Distribution Deal In South Africa

Proton's South African distributor, CMH Group, confirms the termination of its agreement. From selling only 7 cars in April to the rise of Geely, here are 5 numbers you need to see.

13-05-2026