Link Copiedcheck_circle
Auto News

MOT: Faulty Wiring Caused Electrocution And Death Of Teen On Express Bus

Thoriq Azmi

Share via

web_Bernama_Electrocuted-Passenger_2.jpg

Earlier this month, an 18-year-old male passenger was found electrocuted to death in his seat aboard an express bus that arrived in Penang. (Image: Bernama)


Earlier today, the Ministry of Transport (MOT) issued an official statement where it revealed the findings by the special task force it established to investigate the recent electrocution death of a teen passenger aboard an express bus.

“As an initial measure, the land public transport agency (APAD) issued a show-cause letter to the operator, Konsortium Bas Ekspres Semenanjung (M) Sdn Bhd, on Nov 4. On Nov 5, the road transport department (JPJ), accompanied by the Energy Commission (ST) and the fire and rescue department, inspected the bus in Butterworth, Penang,” says Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

According to investigators, the teen’s electrocution was caused by faulty electrical wiring that did not comply with safety standards. In fact, investigators discovered that the wiring connection from the distribution box (DB) to the socket was installed in reverse.


web_Bernama_Electrocuted-Passenger_1.jpg

A special task force was established by the MOT to investigate this incident, and they've discovered faulty wiring that did not comply with safety standards as the cause of the deadly electrocution. (Image: Bernama)


Investigators also noted that the electrical equipment used aboard the bus failed to meet the required safety standards, and that an unlicenced person was responsible for carrying out the wiring installation, which is contrary to the guidelines set by ST.

Further inspections were also carried out on Nov 6 at the manufacturer’s premises in Beranang, Selangor by representatives from the ST, JPJ, Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS), and SIRIM.

During which, APAD also identified another bus from the same operator that had similar electrical wiring issues. The agency has since issued a temporary suspension of operations for said express bus operator pending further investigations.

Based from the findings of this investigation, the MOT issued a directive via APAD that temporarily banned express bus passengers from using on board three-pin power sockets. The ministry adds that this suspension remains in effect until it issues new policies and wiring guidelines.


MOT-statement.jpg

The official statement issued by MOT with findings from the special task force it established.


“Moving forward, APAD will require both new and existing bus operators to submit certified inspection reports or certificates for additional electrical wiring installations, conducted by accredited bodies recognised by the Department of Standards Malaysia,” continued Loke.

To prevent similar incidents in the future, the MOT says it will implement stricter enforcement of safety standards for electrical wiring and related equipment primed in public transport vehicles with enhanced monitoring and tighter compliance measures.

Loke further emphasised that passenger safety is considered seriously by the government, and he ensures that tighter measures will be practiced to prevent similar instances from recurring.




Tagged:

Ministry of Transport (MOT)
electrocuted
Express Bus
electrocution
three-pin socket
Share This Article

Written By

Thoriq Azmi

Former DJ turned driver, rider and story-teller. I drive, I ride, and I string words together about it all. [#FuelledByThoriq] IG: https://www.instagram.com/fuelledbythoriq/

Share via

Related News

Auto News
Summons Discounts for Foreign Vehicles Will Be Reviewed – MOT

Summons Discounts for Foreign Vehicles Will Be Reviewed – MOT

The Transport Ministry will review traffic summons discounts offered to foreign vehicles, says minister Anthony Loke.

30-01-2026
Auto News
JPJ To Replace Roadblocks With Smart Cameras On Highways

JPJ To Replace Roadblocks With Smart Cameras On Highways

JPJ plans to ditch roadblocks and use ANPR cameras to improve safety and reduce traffic congestion.

28-01-2026
Auto News
Govt Offers Up To RM4,000 To Replace 20-Year-Old Cars

Govt Offers Up To RM4,000 To Replace 20-Year-Old Cars

Malaysians can now trade in vehicles over 20 years old for up to RM4,000 toward a safer Proton or Perodua.

28-01-2026
Auto News
Penang’s Water Taxi Service Delayed Over Safety Concerns

Penang’s Water Taxi Service Delayed Over Safety Concerns

Penang’s water taxi plans are on hold due to safety and approval requirements, said Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

13-01-2026
Auto News
RM100m Shortfall Hits My50 Pass, Govt Pledges Continuation

RM100m Shortfall Hits My50 Pass, Govt Pledges Continuation

Despite a RM100 million funding gap, the govt has reaffirmed its commitment to keeping the My50 public transport pass in place.

08-01-2026
Auto News
Experts Call For Stricter Rules, Defensive Driving As Road Deaths Rise

Experts Call For Stricter Rules, Defensive Driving As Road Deaths Rise

Negligent driving caused over 1,200 fatalities this year, prompting calls for tougher enforcement and smarter driver education.

15-12-2025
Auto News
Govt Rolls Out RV Park Trials Ahead of 2026 Rental Framework

Govt Rolls Out RV Park Trials Ahead of 2026 Rental Framework

Govt initiates pilot RV parks nationwide, aims to refine new planning guidelines from which too.

Auto News
KLIA Roof Leak: MAHB Halts Work On RM5.27 Million Contract

KLIA Roof Leak: MAHB Halts Work On RM5.27 Million Contract

KLIA Terminal 1 roof work halted as investigation launched after rainwater leakage.

20-11-2025

Latest News

Auto News
Cycle & Carriage Sells Its Malaysia & Singapore Business To Indonesian Billionaire For RM868 Million

Cycle & Carriage Sells Its Malaysia & Singapore Business To Indonesian Billionaire For RM868 Million

Jardine Cycle & Carriage sells its Malaysia & Singapore car business for RM868 million to Indonesia's Chandra Asri. Here is what it means for car owners!

21-08-2026
Auto News
Do Government Vehicles With Sirens Have The Right To Run Red Lights In Malaysia? Here's What Cops Say

Do Government Vehicles With Sirens Have The Right To Run Red Lights In Malaysia? Here's What Cops Say

Do emergency warning lights give vehicles carte blanche to run red lights in Malaysia? Bukit Aman clarifies traffic laws following a fatal KL crash.

21-08-2026
Auto News
Immigration Driver Pleads Not Guilty After Running Red Light & Killing Father And Two Daughters

Immigration Driver Pleads Not Guilty After Running Red Light & Killing Father And Two Daughters

Immigration driver Mohd Akbar Zainol pleads not guilty to 5 charges after running a red light in KL, hitting a car, and killing 3 pedestrians.

20-08-2026
Auto News
PDRM Is Spending RM8 Million On Silent E-Bikes For Border Patrols: Here’s What They Can Do

PDRM Is Spending RM8 Million On Silent E-Bikes For Border Patrols: Here’s What They Can Do

PDRM receives 375 silent tactical e-bikes worth RM8M! Discover how the 850Nm torque Jebatt F29 will stop border smuggling.

20-08-2026
Auto News
Immigration Truck Runs Red Light In KL: Father & 2 Daughters Killed, Mother In Red Zone

Immigration Truck Runs Red Light In KL: Father & 2 Daughters Killed, Mother In Red Zone

3 family members were killed after an Immigration truck ran a red light and crashed at Maju Junction, KL. Get the latest police details and investigation updates.

19-08-2026
Auto News
‘We Need RM4B, Only Got RM2B’: Ahmad Maslan Explains Why Highways & Potholes Stay Dark And Damaged

‘We Need RM4B, Only Got RM2B’: Ahmad Maslan Explains Why Highways & Potholes Stay Dark And Damaged

Works Ministry receives only RM2B of its required RM4B road maintenance budget. Ahmad Maslan explains why potholes, dark highways, and repairs are delayed in Malaysia.

19-08-2026
Auto News
A Bangladeshi Farmer Was Caught Delivering Veggies In A Mercedes: The Langkawi Duty-Free Loophole

A Bangladeshi Farmer Was Caught Delivering Veggies In A Mercedes: The Langkawi Duty-Free Loophole

Discover why a Bangladeshi farmer used a Mercedes to haul vegetables in Langkawi. Learn how duty-free taxes, extreme depreciation, and repair traps create cheap island luxury cars.

18-08-2026
Auto News
The Billionaire Who Saved Proton Just Resigned As Geely Chairman—Here’s What’s Happening

The Billionaire Who Saved Proton Just Resigned As Geely Chairman—Here’s What’s Happening

Geely founder Li Shufu resigns as Chairman of Geely Auto! Here is what the major executive shakeup means for Proton and Geely's global strategy.

18-08-2026